Follow us


Gain from far-reaching global audience of NUJE Europe, contact us to place your adverts today!

Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Opposition Early Leads Raise Hope for Change of Government in Nigeria

 Nigeria Election: Buhari’s Early Lead Boost Opposition’s Victory HopeNigeria faces an uphill task as election 2015 compilation of election results continues in bid to choose a new leader who will run the affairs of the state in the next four years. However, an uncomfortable lead  recorded so far by the opposition has not been hoped upon as results from the incumbent president’s home base are expected to knock off all pessimism on the opposition camp. Buhari has been leading with more than 2.million votes


Niger Flag: Flying higher

The year’s election is viewed as the most keenly contested with two major contestants, incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan and former Military dictator, Muhammadu Buhari running neck-to-neck in the released result on Monday night.
Two days of voting has seen  the most populous nation in African continent in continuous experimentation  of democratic system, recording above average mark in 19 years. The system gets more matured as citizen turned up en-masse in the ongoing election to express their will with less trouble and determination of purpose to choose the right candidate.
However, with the election  proceeding  in an orderly and peaceful manner, and results being released in trickles, the real challenge for the nation is the morning after when the whole result might have been collated and released giving way to the emergence of a new leader  in  fight  many analysts describe as a battle  between opposition’s craved change and continuity of a change that has taken place by the ruling party. All Progressives Congress (APC) claimed to symbolise a new change while the ruling Peoples Democratic Party parades that change has come and the populace should vie for continuity in the transformation that is on-going in the country.
However, the nation faces  an uphill task as more results are emerging and both PDP and APC are confident of victory and with the level of desperation from both sides, the morning after the release of the final result matters to the future and continued unity and co-existence of all the regions of the nation.
Both sides of the main two opposition parties are confident and vowing never to settle for anything less than victory.
Femi Fani-Kayode, spokesman for the PDP presidential campaign, told Nigeria’s Channels television: “One thing we can all agree on is this is a very close election, probably the closest election in the history of Nigeria, but we believe at the end of the day we will pull through.”
He complained of irregularities, however, including alleged APC voters who were underage or brought in from neighbouring Chad and Niger. “It’s likely we’re going to challenge some of the results coming from the north-west, but we’ll cross the bridge when we get there.”
Fani-Kayode further warned: “We have always said right from the outset that we are prepared to accept the announcement of any election result as long as it is the manifestation of the will of the Nigerian people. We will live with it. What we will not accept is any interference in the electoral process from INEC [Nigeria’s electoral commission], the opposition or anyone else. If it does not reflect the will of the Nigerian people, we shall resist it with everything that is available to us. That you can rest assured of.”
The credibility of the election and its attendant free and peaceful conduct are commendable and it is hoped that reactions after the announcement of the final result would not taint the final stages of the election.
As at Tuesday morning, opposition candidate Muhammadu Buhari took a significant lead over president incumbent Goodluck Jonathan  with nothing less than half of the results already declared. The opposition candidate is leading  with 8,520,436 votes as against Jonathan’s 6,488,210, being result from  18 states. Now, another  18 states are being expected. There has been strong turn out from both party leaders’ regional areas and the trend has once again portrayed the reality that Nigeria still births in political tribal sentiments..
If the trend continues, Jonathan would be the first incumbent to suffer defeat at the ballot box in the history of Africa’s biggest democracy. The international community has called for a fair and peaceful election that would send a signal to the rest of the continent. Vote counting continues at 10.00am local time on Tuesday.
Goodluck-JonathanThe first official results declared on Monday gave Jonathan’s People’s Democratic party (PDP) victory over Buhari’s All Progressives Congress (APC) in Etiki state. But it was clear this would not be another walkover for the governing party when Buhari won Ogun and Kogi, both formerly loyal to the PDP.
Jonathan, 57, took the capital, Abuja, but 72-year-old Buhari won the state of Nigeria’s second biggest city, Kano, in the mainly Muslim north by an overwhelming margin: nearly 2m votes against 215,779. This may well have put him on track for the presidency.
James Schneider, editorial director of New African magazine, who was analysing the results as they came in, tweeted: “The story of the night is #Buhari getting his vote out in his areas and #Jonathan not doing so enough.”
The commercial capital, Lagos, and some of Jonathan’s bastions in the largely Christian south, including the oil-rich Niger delta, are yet to declare, and a final result is not expected until mid-day Tuesday.
The official collation of votes was carried out at an election centre in Abuja in the presence of party representatives, national and international election observers and media. Wearing traditional white agbada and gold-rimmed glasses, national election chief Attahiru Jega occasionally grilled the returning officers. “When a polling unit is cancelled, we need to know how many votes were cancelled. So I’m going to require that you … resubmit your results,” he told the returning officer for Kogi state.
The winning presidential candidate needs not only the most votes, but at least 25% support in two-thirds of Nigeria’s 36 states and Abuja to avoid a run-off.
Voting went relatively smoothly in a nation of 170 million people despite deadly attacks by Islamist extremists, allegations of political violence, and technical glitches that forced polling stations to reopen for a second day in some areas. Nigeria’s Transition Monitoring Group, which had observers across the country, said: “These issues did not systematically disadvantage any candidate or party.”
But in a rare intervention on Monday, the US secretary of state, John Kerry, and his British counterpart, Philip Hammond, said both countries would be “very concerned” by any attempts to undermine the independence of the electoral commission and distort the will of the Nigerian people.
“So far, we have seen no evidence of systemic manipulation of the process,” they said in a joint statement from the sidelines of the Iran nuclear talks in Lausanne, Switzerland. “But there are disturbing indications that the collation process – where the votes are finally counted – may be subject to deliberate political interference.”
Santiago Fisas, head of the European Union election observer mission, also told reporters that “there is not evidence of a systematic subversion of the voting process so far”. But he stressed that “collation is the most critical problem … We are watching this”.
Even before collation began, the APC demanded fresh elections in the southern states of Rivers and Akwa Ibom, alleging irregularities that include missing and false results sheets and electoral officials being replaced by government officials loyal to Jonathan. The national election commission said it is investigating numerous complaints.
Good DecisonSome 2,000 women protesting against the conduct of the elections in Port Harcourt, Rivers, were teargassed as they tried to converge on the local electoral commission offices. APC women’s leader Victoria Nyeche told Agence France-Presse: “What happened today was unprecedented … All we want is a fresh election because what happened on Saturday was a fraud.”
But fears that the election, thought to be the most expensive in African history, will be polarising and that the losing side will not accept the outcome persist. After Buhari lost to Jonathan in 2011, 800 people died and 65,000 were forced from their homes by riots in the north.

Sunday, 29 March 2015

NUJ Europe Commends Nigerians over the elections

Nigerians have been commended for successfully exercising their obligations to vote for the candidates of their choice in the March 28th and 29th Presidential Federal legislators election.
This was contained in a  message of peace by the Acting President of the Europe Chapter of  Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ Europe, conveyed on behalf of the Union to all Nigerians on Monday as they await  official  final  declaration of the winner of the election from the electoral body, INEC.
The NUJ Europe called for sportsmanship among Nigerians in the aftermath of election as the Union urged Nigerians to further be mindful of their actions and excuse any form of violence that may cause harm to others.
'Please be mindful of your actions and do reason well that you do not have to be hurt or hurt others in your acts when the results of the election come out officially from INEC. " Oladigbolu appealed.
Below is the full Message as communicated to the media.
"Message to fellow Nigerians.
"Pure Praises to God almighty.
"We have seen beyond March 28th and extended 29th days of March election. Be proud of yourselves as Nigerians for exercising your civic obligations to have voted for candidates of your choice for President and Federal legislators.
"Please be mindful of your actions and do reason well that you do not have to be hurt or hurt others in your acts when the results of the election come out officially from INEC.
"Besides, staying safe and keeping the peaceful co-existing atmosphere in Nigeria will bring more success, happiness, hope and  better reality to yourselves and the country.
"Do not encourage or engage in trouble and do not let yourselves be misled by others. To those who have been affected negatively by one reason or the other over the Presidential election, may God bless their souls.
"As the case maybe, the UN Secretary-General, US envoy to Nigeria, the EU monitoring groups, and other observers have been praising Nigerians for their zeal to protect their democracy.
"Commendable are the roles played by the  Nigerian security personnels, sensible politicians and  most importantly, voters on their efforts in promoting peaceful Presidential election in Nigeria.
"BRAAAVOO to you all!!!!
"God bless Nigeria.
"Lashley Oladigbolu
"Ag. President, NUJ EUROPE
"For and on behalf of NUJ Europe Chapter."

Saturday, 28 March 2015

Election Updates: Card readers fail to verify President's PVC, allowed to vote

Breaking: INEC website hacked! Investigation on-going, INEC announces!


The Independent National Electoral Commission conducting the voting exercise in Nigeria on Saturday announced that its website has been hacked! This was communicated via its verified social media handle @inecnigeria barely two hours into the presidential poll. However the accreditation process of electorates who have Permanent Voters Card,PVC  are said to be smoothly conducted across Nigeria except in few cases where issues relating to Card Readers inability to verify some voters
PVC have been detected.

The INEC said that attempts to stall the workings of its website has nothing to do with any technical issue relating to Card reader. The electoral body maintained that they have been working to bring the website back."We are aware of the recent hack of our @inecnigeria website, we are currently investigating this incident
#NigeriaDecides" INEC posted via Twitter.
INEC website back! Fully working as normal.
Meanwhile, a notorious group nicknamed Naija Cyber Army, NCA claimed responsibility for the ulterior action of stalling the INEC website for an hour.
On the card reader issue, If card reader not working, advise INEC officials to remove protective film on the lense #NigeriaDecides @nujenews
Pls tweet or we tweet your observation to INEC. The film on the readers inhibiting as claimed by many who shared same experience. #NigeriaDecide

The INEC website has since been fixed and fully back working as normal. The news went wild as NUJ EUROPE first posted the alert via its BBM channel.

Why Card readers fail to verify President's PVC. Read more on  #Nigeriadecides  http://t.co/B8qyNbGQJL follow more at  @nujenewsWhy Card readers fail to verify President's PVC. Read more on  #Nigeriadecides  http://t.co/B8qyNbGQJL @nujenews



Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan was appearing at the polling both in his ward to be accredited  earlier today and  could not be verified with the fourth card reader after the first 3 failed @nujenews reports #NigeriaDecides

As Card Reader Fails to Verify Jonathan's PVC!

President Goodluck Jonathan and his wife were at Unit 30, Ward 13 in Otuoke, Bayelsa State to be accredited to vote. The President's mother was also at the unit.
The President however had to endure a waiting period as 4 card readers had to be tried in order to verify his card. At the end of it, both the President and the First Lady's cards could not be verified.

The President called on all Nigerians to persevere.
Incidentally, other voters were accredited at the polling unit without any hitch.
The Anchor Online gathered that the President would be allowed to vote since the electoral officer there can identify him and his wife.
They left and came back around 11 am when they were accredited using the incidence report register. 
      THIS IS HOW TO VOTE
The process should normally take about 1 minute.
• Voting will be by Open Secret Ballot System.
• Your vote is secret because no one will see which candidate you choose.
You will mark your ballot behind a polling screen secretly.
Apply your finger print only in one circle/space which corresponds to the candidate of your choice.
COMMENCEMENT OF VOTING
• At the commencement of voting, the PO shall
On presentation of voter’s card, the PC shall:
• Check appropriate cuticle thumbnail of voter,
and when he is satisfied that the person has been duly accredited, he shall tick voters’ register, apply indelible ink on the cuticle of the voter’s appropriate thumbnail.
Voters who have no Right/Left hand, the PA shall:
• Apply the ink to the corresponding toes of the voter’s Right/Left foot Voters who have neither fingers nor toes:
• Ink shall be applied on the corresponding toes of the persons assisting them.
ISSUANCE OF BALLOT PAPER AND VOTING
The voter shall present himself to the Polling official (PO)
The PO shall stamp and sign the back of ballot paper.
For more ..why not follow @nujenews www.twitter.com/nujenews
Thank you for all your reports,  the INEC Nigeria are escalating them. Please include #NigeriaDecides and your location in your tweets.    
       "@inecnigeria: Do you have reports or inquiries to make? Call INEC now on 0700-CALL-INEC i.e. 070022554632 #Nigeriadecides"

Please remember to be location specific when tweeting i.e. State, LGA and PU #Nigeriadecides
Add NUJ EUROPE on BB.
             PIN:531B4EBC

Friday, 27 March 2015

My Choice Between Volkswagon Beetle And a Six years old Toyota Camry

Presidential Election in my Country, Nigeria is less that 24 hours away, as a lawyer, I know what the law says about campaign at this hour as I also remember a popular German automobile.

In my part of Nigeria we called it Ijapa (tortoise)

I first had a ride in it when my brother came with one from school, it was his first. As a matter of fact, the Beetle was a first car for many youths before my time in the 70's & 80's. More so, for it's affordability rather than its look.

And so, it was well cherished at the time. But time soon changed and it was no longer cool to drive around in a rear-engine, four-seater, two-door car.

I drove Suzuki sidekick as a undergraduate in the 90's.

I doubt very much that even today's college students would want to be caught dead driving a Beetle with no AC, had manual transmission and even the windows had to be cranked manually.

Especially, when given a choice between that and its modern survivor, the Bug or any other car in today's world which come standard with automatic transmission, power steering, power windows, remote entry, not to mention backup camera, heated seats, GPS, etc.

I have brothers and sisters who are university students in Nigeria. I can imagine how they would feel if they're offered Beetle, our Ijapa, which by the way has to be used, since they stopped producing this car a long time ago.

So, folks as you go out to vote on Saturday, don't chose a Beetle, Ijapa! Maybe, you currently drive a six year old Toyota Camry that's running a little slow. And, yes, you'd rather drive a Lincoln MKZ but that option is not on the table at the moment. Please don't go back to driving a Volkswagen Beetle . They don't even make the parts any more and I doubt if today's mechanics still remember how to fix the it should it break down.

I've heard some people say they'd rather take their chances. But is it worth the risk? I mean, what happens when your good old Beetle gets a blown head gasket? Or when even something as little as a fuel pump goes out? Won't you be left stranded in the middle of the road?

Vote wisely!

Dated 27th March, 2015

Olukayode AJULO, ESQ.
Castle of Faith,
Iyayi Quarters,
Ifira-Akoko,
Ondo State
Nigeria

Send in Your Report or Opinion to NUJ Europe

Name

Email *

Message *

mixed ads