Follow us


Gain from far-reaching global audience of NUJE Europe, contact us to place your adverts today!

Wednesday 18 February 2015

Is Arsenal's Alex Iwobi ready for Nigeria against Gabon on Saturday?

Nigeria Under 23 National Team coach, Samson Siasia, could be taking a risk if he fields Arsenal Under 21 skipper Alex Iwobi in the All Africa Games qualifier against Gabon on Saturday.

The attacking midfielder has represented the youth teams of England at Under 16 to Under 18 level, and he has raised fears that he may be ineligible to represent Nigeria, as he is unsure if the caps came in competitive matches.

But if that is the case, Fifa MUST approve the Arsenal starlet's one time international allegiance switch before he can turn out for any of Nigeria's national teams.

''I have not sent any application to Fifa to switch nationalities. I am not 100 percent sure if the games I played for England were competitive matches,'' Alex Iwobi hinted.

''I don't think I played in the Euro qualifiers. I have played in tournaments, I don't know if they count. I am not sure if I am eligible to play against Gabon.

''But I am looking forward to the game. We can do well and get a good victory.  I have been well treated since I came here and everyone welcomed me.''

It is confirmed that Alex Iwobi's caps for the England Under 17s and Under 18s came in friendlies, but the status of his seven international appearances for their Under 16 side remain unclear at the moment.

The England FA should have all the right answers but they decided to play a cat and mouse game when contacted by the team of SL10 with Customer Relations Officer Simon Bower saying the association is still investigating the matter after five working days.

Credit: SL1O.ng

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send in Your Report or Opinion to NUJ Europe

Name

Email *

Message *

mixed ads